It is important for all teachers to continue their training, regardless of their experience. As an agency we want to ensure that our teachers have these options so we have developed a CPD programme. Listening to the needs of our teachers, as well as using latest guidance, we seek to cover a variety of topics across the year including behaviour management, SEN, the curriculum and planning. CPD will be in the form of workshops, or online courses developed by our team/educational trainers. If you at any point want CPD in something, please let us know and we will always seek to help you.
Joining the teaching world as an NQT can be scary and is a massive learning curve. However, there are many benefits of carrying out supply teaching as an NOT and these are:
- Supply gives you the chance to meet with lots of schools, build networks and try out different year groups
- You get to see what certain schools are like to work in and think about whether you’d like to work there or not
- Flexibility: jumping into a full time job can be quite daunting but doing supply allows you to go at your pace. You can either hit the ground running or you can gradually build up your confidence; the choice is yours
- Job offers: a lot of schools like to know a teacher before they offer a job. Supply is a great way not only for you to try before you apply, but also for schools to try you before they offer a job. Many of our teachers have been offered jobs in the schools they have done supply in.
- Increase your knowledge and skills: doing supply will give you the chance to develop your skills in many areas of teaching. You can also see how other teachers do things and borrow great ideas. You will probably share a few great ideas in the schools you visit. Hopefully, all these experiences will increase your confidence too!
If you were to get a job in a school, as an NQT you would get plenty of support in the form of mentors, observations and CPD. At Apple A Day, we don’t want you to miss out on that so in 2016, we launched our NQT Support Programme. All our NQTS are invited to take part in this and can use it as and when they need.
As part of our commitment to support you, our programme offers NQTs:
- Access to CPD opportunities
- NQT meetings: these give us a chance to focus on something that you want to work on as a group; meet the other NQTs; share your experiences and get advice from our team and your peers
- Options to buddy with an experienced teacher
- Lesson planning help and advice
- Help with job applications and interview technique
- A chance to talk to teachers confidentially about teaching
- 1:1 meetings
- Option to be observed so that you can receive guidance and constructive feedback on your teaching